Subject: Re: Perl 5.004
From: [email-masked] (John Tobey)

3 Jun 1997 05:56:02 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <199706030319.XAA23846.cygnus.gnu-win32@remote76>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked]
In-reply-to: <[email-masked]> ([email-masked])
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I, too, have been spending my weekends trying to build perl 5.004 on
cygwin 95.

> I applied the patch that Chris Faylor kindly sent me.

Same here.  The patch helped, but the big issue remains: DLLs do not
get dynaloaded.  btw, Chris Faylor used NT.  He tells me the XS
modules do load properly.

> 
> I still had the problem reported in README.cygwin32 related
> to bash mishandling <Return> in interactive scripts (Configure).
> Therefore I had to run Configure with -d as suggested in
> README.cygwin32.

It's easy to patch Configure so you can answer all the questions.
However, Configure is so painfully slow on my Pentium 60MHz that I
prefer to hack config.sh directly.  If you're interested, use this
patch:

*** /usr/src/perl5.004/Configure        Tue May 13 13:20:34 1997
--- /p/MyStuff/perl5.004/Configure      Sat May 31 15:02:24 1997
***************
*** 1180 ****
!               read ans
--- 1180 ----
!               read ans; read
***************
*** 1242 ****
!       read answ
--- 1242 ----
!       read answ; read

> I was able to build almost everything, except the Opcode extension,
> for which I get a message saying that there are undefined references
> to __imp_Perl_op_mask in Opcode.o.

Same story.  I built Berkeley DB 1.86, and DB_File failed, too.

> Unfortunately, all tests involving dynamic libraries failed. Too bad,
> because building my own extension is the main reason I'm trying to
> build 004.

Ditto.  Here's a sample error message:

Can't load '../lib/auto/Fcntl/Fcntl.dll' for module Fcntl: 0 at ../lib/DynaLoade
r.pm line 155.

 at ./lib/anydbm.t line 11

Notice that GetLastError() returned 0.  Sometimes the number is 31,
sometimes 1157.  (1157 isn't even in my Win32.hlp!  Any docs on this?)
I am led to suspect that the dlltool is not producing valid Win 95
DLLs.  Has anyone managed to build a DLL on _95_ and then load it
explicitly?

> Fabio

-John
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".