Subject: MSVC and dlls
From: [email-masked] (Steve Shepard)

2 Jun 1997 22:19:30 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I am still unable to use dlls created with Visual C++ 4.2 with gcc and
I'm starting to wonder if perhaps there is a dll version conflict with
the cygwin32 dll. Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

I've built a VERY simple dll in MSVC. If I compile the test app in
MSVC, all works fine. However, if I use the b18 dlltool and compile
the test app with b18 gcc, I get the "Unable to run..." message on
Windows95. Gdb reports error number 11.

What makes me suspicious of the dll revision? Here are some
observations:

The dll's export table does not show up using pedump on both Windows95
and NT 4.0. It also does not show up using Quick View on Windows95.

It does, however, show up using Quick View on NT 4.0 or Microsoft's
"dumpbin" utility. Did Microsoft rev. the dll format? If so, perhaps
there is something in the cygwin dll that can't handle the newer
format.

The dlltool command that I run on the MSVC dll is

	dlltool --def test.def --dllname test.dll --output-lib libtest.a

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".