Subject: Re: Perl 5.004
From: [email-masked] (Chris Faylor)

2 Jun 1997 19:57:09 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test57 (27 Apr 97)
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Perl5 Mail::Internet v1.28
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]>,
Fabio Somenzi <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Here is my progress report on building Perl 5.004 on Win95.
>
>I applied the patch that Chris Faylor kindly sent me.  (I had to apply
>the patch on a machine running Linux, due to an apparent bug in
>gnuwin32's patch. This bug has been reported to this list some time
>ago. It has to do with an assertion violated at line 399 of patch.c.)
>
>I was able to build almost everything, except the Opcode extension,
>for which I get a message saying that there are undefined references
>to __imp_Perl_op_mask in Opcode.o.
>
>I removed Opcode from the list of extensions to build, and finally got
>make to finish.

That's strange.  I spent a lot of time getting Opcode to compile.
I'll have to go back and check what I did wrong.

>Testing reported: Failed 23 test scripts out of 152, 77.63% okay.
>
>Unfortunately, all tests involving dynamic libraries failed. Too bad,
>because building my own extension is the main reason I'm trying to
>build 004.

These also were working correctly, on NT at least.

>On the other hand, I did not run into Jim Pick's problem: I can run
>the installed version of the perl I built. The installation complained
>about many failed commands while installing the .3 man files, but
>otherwise went well.

I don't recall getting these errors.

It looks like I'll have to do what I should have done and apply my
patches over a clean perl5.004 source tree, then try to compile it.

I'll try this on both NT and 95 and report back here, hopefully with
something that works cleanly.

In the meantime, I'd be happy to send my current set of patches to
anyone who is interested.
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".