Subject: Re: Junk mail through Cygnus?
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

2 Jun 1997 14:12:38 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
Original-To: [email-masked] (Anand Kumria)
Original-Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "Anand Kumria" at Jun 2, 97 02:15:55 pm
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> I don't think Cygnus would give out list member email addresses (someone @
> cygnus care to put something official on it); I think that the sender just
> misused the mailing list for spam.
> 
> Anand.

*Sigh*  Yes, we are currently using a pretty standard majordomo setup
so it is easy to guess the various addresses.  The gnu-win32
list is also configured so you don't have to be a member of the list
to send mail to it (potentially useful but also makes it easier to
spam).

The gnu-win32 and gnu-win32-announce lists are both confidential
lists.  The "who" command is disabled and will fail regardless of
list membership status.  Cygnus does not distribute the names in
these lists to anyone.  Most of us here are rather fed up with
receiving junk email.  I've gotten quite a number of annoying messages
from CyperPromo but there are other guilty parties.

If gnu-win32 becomes a frequent victim of spam, I will see what I
can do to make things more difficult for them but some of those
things also restrict functionality of the list.  This might involve
making the outgoing addresses hard to guess and requiring list
membership to send mail to the list.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".