Subject: Re: Perl 5.004
From: [email-masked] (Fabio Somenzi)

2 Jun 1997 00:30:59 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: emacs 19.32.1 (via feedmail 5 I) 
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Here is my progress report on building Perl 5.004 on Win95.

I applied the patch that Chris Faylor kindly sent me.  (I had to apply
the patch on a machine running Linux, due to an apparent bug in
gnuwin32's patch. This bug has been reported to this list some time
ago. It has to do with an assertion violated at line 399 of patch.c.)

The patch solved the problem of Fcntl.c, which previously didn't
compile. I still had the problem reported in README.cygwin32 related
to bash mishandling <Return> in interactive scripts (Configure).
Therefore I had to run Configure with -d as suggested in
README.cygwin32.

There is a couple of problems with pathnames containing both slashes
and backslashes:
  1. The dependencies in GNUmakefile don't work if GCC_EXEC_PREFIX
     is set to C:\gnuwin32\...
     They work if GCC_EXEC_PREFIX is set to /gnuwin32/...
     I kept the original definition (C:\...) and edited the makefiles.
  2. There is a problem in cywin32/perlgcc of the original
     distribution, which is fixed in Chris's patched sources. 

I was able to build almost everything, except the Opcode extension,
for which I get a message saying that there are undefined references
to __imp_Perl_op_mask in Opcode.o.

I removed Opcode from the list of extensions to build, and finally got
make to finish.

Testing reported: Failed 23 test scripts out of 152, 77.63% okay.

Unfortunately, all tests involving dynamic libraries failed. Too bad,
because building my own extension is the main reason I'm trying to
build 004.

On the other hand, I did not run into Jim Pick's problem: I can run
the installed version of the perl I built. The installation complained
about many failed commands while installing the .3 man files, but
otherwise went well.

A final note. I have b18 (unmodified) running on Win95. I haven't
created any mount points.

Fabio

-- 
Fabio Somenzi          | Phone: 303-492-3466
University of Colorado | Fax:   303-492-2758
ECE Dept.              | Email: [email-masked]
Boulder CO 80309-0425  | WWW:   http://vlsi.colorado.edu/~fabio

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".