Subject: Re: Junk mail through Cygnus?
From: [email-masked] (Anand Kumria)

1 Jun 1997 22:51:54 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: James Paul Morgan <[email-masked]>
Original-cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Sun, 1 Jun 1997, James Paul Morgan wrote:

> I received a rather annoying piece of junk e-mail today about internet
> "work from home" and some credit card from [email-masked].  What seemed
> odd was that it carried the standard footer for items sent through this
> mailing list, though the return address was not Cygnus. 

It is because the sender guessed that Cygnus are using a standard
majordomo setup with [email-masked] being the mailing address, and
gnu-win32-outgoing being the list of subscribers. It looks like it was
just sent to that address.

> Have other subscribers to the mailing list gotten this letter?  Is Cygnus
> passing out the email addresses of the subscribers to this mailing list or
> did this [email-masked] get the addresses some other way?  If it's not
> going through Cygnus, why did it have the standard Cygnus footer? 

I don't think Cygnus would give out list member email addresses (someone @
cygnus care to put something official on it); I think that the sender just
misused the mailing list for spam.

Anand.

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are
  forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how
  holy the motives' -- Robert A Heinlein, "If this goes on --"

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".