Subject: Re: More //F/ style woes
From: [email-masked] (JP Shipherd)

30 May 1997 22:55:47 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

This is wonderful if you only ever use tools that use the cygwin.dll but
abysmal if you use anything else.  I'm beginning to come to the conclusion
that to use the gnu-win32 tools in conjuction with other win32 apps,
gnumake will need to change.  It needs to have a behaviour where if it finds:

[Space or Beginning of line][Alpha]:/  it knows not to inerpret that colon
as the seperator between a target and a dependency list.

Using mount and the //F/ drive naming is handy but if you're tyring to
build without depending on cygwin.dll (ie minimalist gcc), it's better to
keep this out of your build environment since you can't have it in your
test envionment as well.

Just my $.02
--jp

At 10:38 AM 5/30/97 -0500, Bart Anderson wrote:
>I think I saw something like this in the list before, but don't think of
>multiple drives, think of a root file system "/" and mount your drives
>there some place. Treat them like partitions, or mount them under
>/drives. Organization is your choice. Standard directories for standard
>stuff will help with the portability issues. If you don't think of
>drives as drives but deal with file systems it will be much easier. You
>should be carefull to avoid cross-mounting stuff, I'm not sure how that
>might affect performance or other tools if you have a somehow recursive
>structure.
>
>Opinions my own, in case my .signature didn't make it in.
>Bart
>
>
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".