Subject: Re: CMD, case-insensitive file-name completion
From: [email-masked] (Michael Condict)

29 May 1997 18:17:05 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
X-Authentication-Warning: postman.opengroup.org: Host hare.osf.org [130.105.7.99] didn't use HELO protocol
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-cc: [email-masked] (Scott Mintz), [email-masked],
        [email-masked]
In-reply-to: Your message of "Tue, 27 May 1997 12:08:11 -0000."
             <[email-masked]> 
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

In message <[email-masked]>, you write:
>      CMD also has case-insensitive filename completion.

I'd also like to note, if we're using other Windows command processors
as a precedent, that all of the following command processors have
case-insensitive filename completion, and also have case-insensitive
file-name pattern matching (i.e. "a*" matches both "abc" and "Alpha"):

	- NT command processor
	- 4DOS for NT
	- MKS UNIX Toolkit Korn Shell

Moreover, all of these command processors correct the case as you
type the completion character, just like my proposed changes to bash.

So bash currently stands alone in not being case-insensitive.  I'd say
that's more surprising behavior, on a Windows system, than the fact
that UNIX users expect case-sensitivity.

And while were on the topic of file globbing, can someone please tell
me why there are at least three slightly different copies of glob.c
spread throughout the source tree?  I've modified the one in the bash
source tree to do case-insensitivity, but this won't help the find
command, for example, and whatever other programs have built-in file-
name matching.

Michael Condict			[email-masked]
The Open Group Research Inst.	(617) 621-7349
11 Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".