Subject: Re: chmod broke? Or perhaps ' ls -l ' is inaccurate here
From: [email-masked] (Allan Peda)

29 May 1997 17:34:28 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold (WinNT; I)
Original-To: "Lassi A. Tuura" <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Lassi A. Tuura wrote:
> 
> Allan Peda wrote:
> > bash$ chmod -v 777 input.
> [snip]
> > -rw-r--r--   1 544      everyone   111586 May 29 21:12 input
> 
> Am I misunderstanding something?  You show two files, `input.' and
> `input'.   Perhaps you are just looking at the wrong file?

Okay... double check here... (I try both spellings below):

ash$ cd /usr/work
ash$ ls -l i*
rw-r--r--   1 544      everyone   111586 May 29 21:12 input
rw-r--r--   1 544      everyone      227 May 29 21:10 input.cpp
rw-r--r--   1 544      everyone      203 May 29 21:06 input.mak
ash$ chmod -v 777 input.
ode of input. changed to 0777 (rwxrwxrwx)
ash$ ls -l i*
rw-r--r--   1 544      everyone   111586 May 29 21:12 input
rw-r--r--   1 544      everyone      227 May 29 21:10 input.cpp
rw-r--r--   1 544      everyone      203 May 29 21:06 input.mak
ash$ chmod -v 777 input
ode of input changed to 0777 (rwxrwxrwx)
ash$ ls -l i*
rw-r--r--   1 544      everyone   111586 May 29 21:12 input
rw-r--r--   1 544      everyone      227 May 29 21:10 input.cpp
rw-r--r--   1 544      everyone      203 May 29 21:06 input.mak
ash$

Hmmm, still peculiar.

Thanks for the reply 

Allan
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".