Subject: Completely Windowless Bashing
From: [email-masked] (John Gerard Malecki)

28 May 1997 18:44:12 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: VM 6.31 under Emacs 19.34.1
X-Organization: Artisan Components
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I have Java program that wants to exec a long bash script like "sh -c
script > /tmp/msg 2>&1" and I would prefer if the execution of the
shell script proceeded without any window creation.

I rebuilt bash using '-Wl,--subsystem,windows' and now the top-level
process (bash) does not create a window but each subprocess does.
(Incredibly this seems to run faster than the original bash where each
subprocess updated the top-level title bar.)

An obvious but unpleasant solution is to compile all the user-tools
using -Wl,--subsystem,windows.  Can anyone recommend a better tasting
solution?  Maybe there is some run-time mechanism whereby I can
substitute /dev/null for the console?

-thanks

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".