Subject: Re: Picking up include directories automatically
From: [email-masked] (Michael Condict)

23 May 1997 20:48:31 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
X-Authentication-Warning: postman.opengroup.org: Host hare.osf.org [130.105.7.99] didn't use HELO protocol
Original-To: "Mikey" <[email-masked]>
Original-cc: "JP Shipherd" <[email-masked]>,
        "cygnus gnu-win32 mailing list" <[email-masked]>,
        [email-masked]
In-reply-to: Your message of "Mon, 19 May 1997 12:22:01 PDT."
             <[email-masked]> 
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

In message <[email-masked]>, you write:
> How about putting export /c/dir because you mounted c:\\ to /c
> which was my point in the first place YOU DON'T NEED //

Exactly.  Or you could just use "export /dir", if you've mounted c:
under /, which is the default, after all.  But the mount command
doesn't mind that you mount c: twice, once under / and again under
/c.  I've done this for consistency.  Also, whenever I want to refer to
a networked drive, I mount it somewhere first.  Usually I just mount the
drive letter I've mapped it to:

	mount g: /g

In any case, I agree 100% with you that "//" is dangerous because any
UNIX program that notices it will think it's equivalent to "/" and may
feel free to delete one of the slashes.

For similar reasons "c:/..." paths are dangerous.  Unix programs will
assume that this is a relative pathname, not an absolute one, and may
even create files in the wrong place.

The other reason I never use "//" or "c:/" paths is that bash can't
do file-name completion on such names.  This is a fixable bug, I
guess, but why bother.

Michael Condict			[email-masked]
The Open Group Research Inst.	(617) 621-7349
11 Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".