Subject: Re: problem with inner classes in template functions
From: [email-masked] (James Paul Morgan)

22 May 1997 20:00:58 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Original-To: Oliver Glier <[email-masked]>
Original-cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Wed, 21 May 1997, Oliver Glier wrote:

[Code SNIP of a class in the public area of a template class.]
> 
> The compiler always yields a syntax error at the line with...
[SNIP]
> Still, I think that
> code as above is correct C++. At least it works with a lot
> of other C++ compilers and seems to be important in the
> use of class libraries such as STL.
> 

I've had similar problems with the g++ compiler under Cygwin32 17.1 with 
a class inside of a normal class.  It was for a school project and 
compiled successfully on the g++ compiler on UNM's AIX machine.  For some 
reason, Cygwin's g++ does not like a class within another class.

My situation was that the the sub-class was declared inside the private 
portion of the main class.  The sub-class was only used in the 
constructor of the main class and nowhere else.  However, the compiler on 
Cygwin32 complained that the sub-class was private when it was accessed.

(Yes, I know that declaring in a class in private that is only used in 
the constructor is very odd, but that's the kind of code this professor 
wrote and wanted us to use.)

I have created other classes within classes in other school projects and 
seen it in text books, so I figure it's valid C++, but Cygwin doesn't 
always accept it.

See ya around the Mulberry bush.

--James

:)

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".