Subject: Re: X11R6.3 nolonger works under B18
From: [email-masked] (Gary Bishop)

19 May 1997 10:15:14 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0.1 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I still can't get the client programs to work, I'm sure there is some
simple secret here that I am overlooking.  They work for Sergey so it is
known to be possible, but there is some subtle difference in his
environment that is making the difference.

I will carefully describe my setup.  Please see if you can see what I am
doing wrong.

I'm setup "binary only" as Sergey suggested:
bash$ mount
Device           Directory           Type        Flags
\\.\tape1:       /dev/st1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
d:               /                   native      no-mixed,text=binary

I unpacked and patched the X11R6.3 xc-1.c distribution in binary mode into
/usr/X11R6.3/src/xc.

I added fixup.o to my "specs" file as the *endfile for dlls.  The line
suggested by Mikey that I am using is:
*endfile:
%(dll:/lib/fixup.o)

The source to /lib/fixup.o is:
#ifdef  __CYGWIN32__
asm (".section .idata$3\n" ".long 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0");
#endif

Everything builds just fine.  But when I try to run one of the clients, I
get a popup from windows95 saying 
"Error starting program"
unable to start /usr/X11R6.3/bin/xrefresh.exe.

And in bash I see:
bash$ xrefresh
sh.exe: /USR/X11R6.3/BIN/xrefresh.exe: (null)
bash$ 

I've been very careful to make sure everything is binary mode (this was the
source of some early problems).  I even used "grep" to search for carriage
returns in the source files.

If I make static libraries and link with them, the clients work, so the
problem has to be in the dll startup stuff.

It appears to me (with my very limited understanding so far) that all the
dll stuff that Sergey is doing is correct.  And it works for him!

Anyone see what I am doing wrong?

thanks
gb

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".