Subject: Re: Beta 18 quirks
From: [email-masked] ("Hmmmz")

18 May 1997 21:11:24 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Comments: Authenticated sender is <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
X-mailer: Pegasus Mail for Windows (v2.33)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Well I finally cleared up a 160mb partition on my hard drive for beta 
18.  I downloaded cdk.exe and installed fine.  However if i type 
uname -a i get results like the following:

C:\home\alex\Desktop>uname -a
CYGWIN32/95 MEGA.HOOKED.NET 4.0 17.5 i6364486

Is that normal? I haven't found any b17.1 dlls around either. *shrug* 
BTW, what's an i6364486?

I then compiled ncurses1.9.9e (From ftp.probe.net) and it installed, 
however unlike advertised install.exe did _not_ find the clear.exe 
tic.exe, etc, etc. Again is this a bug?  Disregarding that I renamed 
the exes, and manually ran make install in each of the subdirs, which 
then proceded to install without a hitch. After setting my paths 
correctly and renaming the executables, I ran clear.exe.  However 
this program doesn't seem to work correctly in b18, whereas in b17.1 
it cleared the sreen if my TERM variable was set to pcansi, mono, 
etc, etc. Any ideas?

Ls, and almost everything else seem _very_ slow compared to b17.1. Oh 
well.

A few suggestions I've noticed that if i have a directory say "/" 
(C:\unix) and then mount C:\blah as "/local" /local won't show up at 
all under ls's and tab key stuff. I think it'd be really nice if that 
could be fixed. However another idea might be to add a /dev/*
directory, so that /dev/lpt0 or /dev/sio[0,1] could be accessed. And 
perhaps /dev/tty* could be mapped to the standard console. Also what 
about using the method that is used for case sensitive filenames for 
reserved filenames? so that if perl creates a file called aux its 
written to the partition as _aux or similar?

P.S. yes I'm using binary mounts, and non-posix paths crashed tar 
(i.e. tar -xzkvf c:\cdk-src.tar.gz).
WinNT and *nix rule, so learn from the past:
Hiroshima '45, Vietnam '64, Tjernobyl '86, MacOS '96
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".