Subject: Re: Bison for NT
From: [email-masked] (Kirk Hilliard)

18 May 1997 19:48:51 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Mail User's Shell (7.2.5 10/14/92)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Earlier today I wrote:
> Has anyone here ported bison to the NT?  If so, I would appreciate
> the details.  When successful, I will post instructions and also put
> them up on a web site.
>
> While I would be happy to use the cygwin-32 package to build bison,
> I need to be able to compile the parsers it generates using MSVC.

I reinstalled gnu-win32 b18 and this time bison configured and
compiled right out of the box.  I ran `configure' from bash (and
ignored `configure.bat' this time) and the ran `make'.  

The parser code that the resulting bison produced compiles without a
hitch under gcc, but I had a little trouble compiling it under MSVC
until I realized that I needed to #define MSDOS myself.  The initial C
code of my yacc file now contains:

  #ifdef _MSC_VER
  #define MSDOS 1 /* NT bison needs this */
  #endif

The resulting parser treats my grammer in the manner that I desired.

Thanks to all who replied,

Kirk Hilliard

P.S. I would still love to hear from anyone who has an opinion on
     whether my grammer is simply taking advantage of a loophole in
     bison and the 5 UNIX yaccs.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".