Subject: RE: compile fails with binary mount
From: [email-masked] (Sergey Okhapkin)

17 May 1997 09:20:58 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <01BC62C1.40C761F0.cygnus.gnu-win32@sos>
Original-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>,
        "'Gary Bishop'"
	 <[email-masked]>
Encoding: 46 TEXT
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Gary Bishop wrote:
> I found the problem.  I had edited specs and emacs had inserted ^M
> characters all in it.
>
> Anyone know how to make emacs19.34.1 not put ^M on lines?

From just mentioned here NTEmacs FAQ:

How can I control CR/LF translation (e.g., to access UNIX files via NFS)?

There are currently two methods by which you can control automatic CR/LF 
translation in Emacs. The first method is by file extension using the alist 
file-name-buffer-file-type-alist. This alist contains pairs of regular 
expressions and booleans that determine whether a file is opened in binary 
(untranslated) or text (translated) mode. The alist already contains a 
number of pairs that you can use as examples for creating your own; do a 
"C-h v" on the variable name to see the help text and the default pairs.

You could add your own pairs to the alist, or change the alist entirely. 
For example, if you wanted to open every file in binary mode except for 
batch files, you could add the following to your startup file:

(setq file-name-buffer-file-type-alist '(("\\.bat$" . nil) (".*" . t)))

The first pair says anything ending with the .bat extension should be 
opened in text mode, and the second pair opens everything else that doesn't 
match the first pair in binary mode.

A second method for controlling translation is with the functions at the 
end of untranslate.el. These functions enable you to turn on and off 
translation on a filesystem basis (e.g., open anything on C: in translated 
mode, and anything on U: in untranslated mode). If you want to use these 
functions, download and place untranslate.el in your load-path and have it 
loaded from your startup file. Then you can place calls to 
add-untranslated-filesystem to selectively access filesystems in binary 
mode.

--
Sergey Okhapkin
Moscow, Russia
Looking for a job

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".