Subject: Re: Picking up include directories automatically
From: [email-masked] (Jason Zions)

17 May 1997 01:11:58 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold (WinNT; I)
Original-To: Mikey <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: cygnus <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Actually, using a doubled-slash is indeed POSIX; a leading double-slash
in a pathname is explicitly called out as implementation-defined, and a
portable application should (a) deal with it without blowing up, and (b)
not ascribe any particular meaning to it. If anyone is interested, I can
get a specific chapter-and-verse citation.

The OpenNT POSIX-conforming environment for NT uses
//<driveletter>/<path> consistently, with very few (if any) source
changes required to publicly-available code. Once the
tmpdir()/tmpnam()/tempnam() functions are modified to "do the right
thing", most apps simply need slight changes to environment variables or
compile-time #defines to build correctly. Apache, for instance, came up
quite easily under OpenNT 2.0alpha and 2.0beta.

Disclosure: I work for Softway Systems, maker of OpenNT.

Jason Zions
http://www.softway.com
(email address diddled to prevent spamming)

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".