Subject: Re: Bash Problems
From: [email-masked] (Steen Ulrik Palm)

16 May 1997 19:56:37 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Organization: Computer Resources International A/S,
                Bregneroedvej 144, DK-3460 Birkeroed, Denmark
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01 (X11; I; SunOS 5.5 sun4m)
Original-To: Peter Dalgaard BSA <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Peter Dalgaard BSA wrote:
> 
> Steen Ulrik Palm <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >
> > I have downloaded and installed the 18b version of the gnu-win32 user
> > tools under Windows 95. Bash has now been defined as the default shell
> > in Emacs and bash runs smoothly within a *shell* buffer.
> 
> Heyyy!! What a neat trick! Would you mind putting a small document
> together on how you did that? (Which Emacs version, etc.)
> 

I use NT Emacs (http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html)
which seems to be a fairly nice port of GNU Emacs 19.34 to NT/Win95 (I
have only used it for a couple of weeks so this is not an expert
speaking). It is possible to copy/paste between Emacs and any other
Win95 application (including the DOS box). In the Emacs window the
copying/pasting is done solely by means of the mouse.

To make bash your default shell in Emacs place the definition `set
SHELL=<gnuwin32 bin path>\bash.exe' in autoexec.bat and add the below
lines to your .emacs file:

(setq win32-quote-process-args t)
(setq shell-command-switch "-c")

and you should be in business! (This is also described in ntemacs.html
which is a pretty good README kind of file.)

> > However, I have problems when running bash from a DOS prompt
> > window. Firstly, the `Alt Char' key does not work. This means that I'm
> > not able to get access to the characters `$', `|', ``' and others
> > which hampers the usefulness of bash considerably. I have tried to
> > define some keybindings for these characters in ~/.inputrc, but for
> > unknown reasons it does not work.
> 
> Most of this didn't happen in 17.1, so it should be fixable. However,
> 17.1 had trouble with deadkeys, which lost us ~, ^, and `, so
> restoring the old behavior is not good enough. This is a known bug in
> the DOS box itself under W95/Win32 (it's on Microsofts bug list), and
> there's no workaround. We need a better terminal window altogether!
> 

Ok, we have to look/wait for a port of xterm to Win95.

Thanks for your reply.

Steen

-- 

                           \\\|///
                         \\  - -  //
                          (  @ @  )
+-----------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------------------------+
Steen Palm, CRI A/S, Bregnerxdvej 144, DK-3460 Birkerxd, Denmark
Tel: +45 45 94 96 65, Fax: +45 45 94 96 45, E-mail: [email-masked]
+-------------------------------Oooo---------------------------------+
                         oooO   (   )
                        (   )    ) /
                         \ (    (_/
                          \_)
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".