Subject: Problems building b18 under win95
From: [email-masked] ("David Fiddes")

15 May 1997 22:21:11 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.71.0544.0
Original-To: <[email-masked]>
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE Engine V4.71.0544.0
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

I'm having quite a few problems rebuilding a "plain vanilla" version of gcc
for win32. I got the CDK and installed it on a "virgin" machine in exactly
the same directory as suggested by the installer except on my F: drive
rather than C:. I then created a batch file to set all the path settings
and other environment vars. I ran the batch file and did a "umount /" and a
"mount f: /" as suggested here a few days ago to make sure that the root,
/, directory was connected to the right drive. I then ran bash, create a
directory and a simple "Hello World!" app to prove that the compiler was
working and stepped through that with gdb to check that GDB and TCL were
also working. I then did a "cd /" and a "tar xvf //h/cdk-src.tar" to untar
the source for the compiler.

Problem number 1:

When the tar process was mostly finished it seems to set time stamps on
directories and produces the following error:(short version) :-)

tar: Could not change access and modification times of cdk/bfd/hosts:
Permission
 denied
tar: Could not change access and modification times of cdk/bfd/doc:
Permission d
enied
tar: Could not change access and modification times of cdk/bfd: Permission
denie
d
tar: Could not change access and modification times of cdk: Permission
denied
,etc,etc,etc.

I thought that this wasn't too critical and I took it to be something to do
with the differences between the win32 API on 95 and NT.

I then created a /build/native directory and in it ran the "/cdk/configure
--prefix=/install -v > configure.log 2>&1" which seemed to work OK although
I didn't sift through its log file too closely. I then ran "make > make.log
2>&1" which bombed out after about 30mins with the following error.

<...snip snip...>
gcc -O2 -c  -DDLLTOOL_I386 -D_GNU_SOURCE -I. -I/cdk/binutils -I../bfd
-I/cdk/binutils/../bfd -I/cdk/binutils/../include  -O2 /cdk/binutils/dlltool
..c
/build/native/byacc/byacc  -d  /cdk/binutils/defparse.y
mv -f y.tab.c defparse.c
mv -f y.tab.h defparse.h
gcc -O2 -c -D_GNU_SOURCE -I. -I/cdk/binutils -I../bfd -I/cdk/binutils/../bfd
 -I/cdk/binutils/../include  -O2 defparse.c
/build/native/flex/flex  /cdk/binutils/deflex.l
mv lex.yy.c deflex.c
gcc -O2 -c -D_GNU_SOURCE -I. -I/cdk/binutils -I../bfd -I/cdk/binutils/../bfd
 -I/cdk/binutils/../include  -O2 deflex.c
gcc -O2  -O2  -o dlltool dlltool.o defparse.o deflex.o bucomm.o version.o
filemode.o -L../bfd -lbfd ../libiberty/libiberty.a  
make: DLLTOOL@: Command not found
make: *** [libtcl7.6.a] Error 127
make: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [all-tcl] Error 2

I'm not sure what to do. Is this a problem with my setup or does it just
not build under 95 at all.

I'm using Win95 build 950a with British codepages on a P133 with 32MB RAM
on a 500MB partition with 150MB free after configure and 132MB free or
there abouts after make bombs.

Sorry for the long boring email <grin>.
Dave

Dave Fiddes, CALM Software Production Officer
Department of Mathematics, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh
email [email-masked] - Tel: 0131-451-3251 

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".