Subject: "install -d" and "cp -p" fail [b18 on Win NT 4.0]
From: "Bryan Rosenburg"<[email-masked]>

14 May 1997 17:39:08 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
X-Lotus-FromDomain: IBM RESEARCH
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I'm new to this mailing list, so I apologize if this subject has already
been covered.

I just upgraded from b17.1 to b18 on a Windows NT 4.0 system.  The commands
"install -d foo" and "cp -p bar foo", which worked fine before the upgrade,
started to fail in similar ways.  In both cases the error message is "foo:
Invalid argument".

I think the problem is that I did not have /etc/passwd and /etc/group files
on my system.  When I created these files, "install -d" and "cp -p" started
to work properly.

The b18 README.txt file mentions the programs "mkpasswd" and "mkgroup" that
are useful for creating /etc/passwd and /etc/group files on Windows NT
systems.  I think it should also say that these files are now required for
the correct operation of certain commands.

Bryan Rosenburg
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Yorktown Heights, NY  10598

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".