Subject: Re: link problems
From: [email-masked] (James Paul Morgan)

14 May 1997 03:13:57 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Original-To: Wei Ku <[email-masked]>
Original-cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Wei Ku wrote:

> Is it true that srand and rand are not nearly as random ? I had suspicion
> on the randomness of the result of them. However, it is not verified yet.
> 
Actually, I am taking that statment from the documentation for either the 
g++ or xlC compiler that is installed on our school system.  (I didn't 
look to see which compiler's lib that document was specificallly from.)  
There were specific numbers quoted with in the documentation.  Basically, 
it boiled down to the fact that the random() has a much longer sequence 
of numbers before repeating, therefore having more variety.  (Or 
something similar.)  It was also mentioned in one of our C++ text books, 
though no specifics were given there.

See ya around the Mulberry bush.

--James

:)

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".