Subject: Apache for NT, the REVENGE
From: [email-masked] (Giovanni Maruzzelli)

13 May 1997 16:48:14 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-cc: Marc Cathomen <[email-masked]>
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi there,

read the manual, read the manual, read the manual, read the manual, read
the manual, read the manual, read the manual.

After a lot of tries, I've succeded in building Apache as a Service.

And it work very well, when debugging it in console mode. Fast, reliable,
also found how to substitute the signaling stuff that i'm not able to make
works.

Really a big satisfaction..... Just to discover that the services under NT
have no right to fork children.

So now there's an interesting case of software that is much more powerful
in debugging mode (where as a console app can make how many children it
want) than in production mode (where it is allowed one only process, the
controlling one, that don't do nothing apart from starting and killing the
others).

Anyway, in the making of this, I've found that you can use thread (at
least as a mean to receive events instead of using signals. Signals don't
work for me). You can do that using win32 calls like CreateThread,
OpenEvent, ExitProcess, etc.)

Each process spawned can have a thread that wait for events ....

So, any hints, apart from rewriting apache in multithreading mode?

ciao,

-giovanni
 
          ***********************************************
          *                                             *
          *                                             *
          *    MATRICE srl                              *
          *    Information Technology Solutions         *
          *                                             *
          *    Giovanni Maruzzelli                      *
          *                                             *
          *                                             *
          *                                             *
          *    [email-masked]                        *
          *    http://www.matrice.it                    *
          ***********************************************

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".