Subject: Re: bash problem with hexl under ntemacs
From: [email-masked] (Andrew Innes)

12 May 1997 18:06:32 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
In-reply-to: <[email-masked]> (message from Guido Van
	Hoecke on 10 May 1997 01: 12:30 +0200)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On 10 May 1997 01:12:30 +0200, Guido Van Hoecke <[email-masked]> said:
[ hexl mode not working using Cygnus bash ]

>Is this a known problem! Is there a workaround or a known fix?

[There is a work-around, see near the end.]

Well, problems with hexlify-buffer and friends have been reported for a
long time.  Most of these reports were from people using Emacs on
Windows 95 with command.com as their normal shell, and so I had assumed
the difficulties stemmed entirely from known problems with this (which
will be fixed by the changes I am making for the upcoming "mini" release
of Emacs, BTW).

However, I had thought people using Cygnus bash and other Unix-based
Win32 shells should not be experiencing these problems (providing Emacs
is correctly configured, which your setup is).  So I tried this now
myself with the beta 17.1 bash.

Whether or not the problem occurs seems to depend on which drive
cygwin.dll thinks is the "root" drive, and where Emacs is installed (and
possibly also where bash is installed and maybe other factors I haven't
been able to determine).

In your case bash reports that it cannot find "c:/emacs/bin/hexl.exe" -
I suspect it is using "c:/" as the location of "/".  If you either
remove the "c:" or change it to "//c", then bash finds it.  I don't
understand precisely why that is - from looking at the source code, I
believe cygwin.dll should always accept an absolute native filename, so
perhaps it is bash itself that is getting confused.

For now, a work-around is to set the value of `hexlify-command' in Emacs
to "//c/emacs/bin/hexl -hex" (and the corresponding change for
`dehexlify-command').

Hopefully Cygnus can shed more light on the correct behaviour of bash.

AndrewI

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".