Subject: International keyboard support in bash? Changed in 18?
From: [email-masked] ("Michael Strömberg")

10 May 1997 21:22:35 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.0b4 [en] (Win95; I)
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

A few days ago I installed the release 18, and noticed that bash was
behaving in a peculiar way. It seems that I cannot get the '$' to come
out on my swedish keyboard (which happens to be accessed by pressing the
"AltGr" key and the '4' key). 

After several minutes of curious experimentation, I found that doing a
shift '4' would give me a dead key, and if I then did an "AltGr" 4 - I
would finally get the '$' symbol. Incidentally shift 4 gives you a
circle with 4 lines sticking out in each "corner".

To make matters worse, I decided to copy the bash from relase 17.1 and
still had the same problem. Have the keyboard handling routines changed
in release 18?

Testing even further, the problem disappears in other applications such
as vim. It seems only to affect the command line (bash).

Everything worked great with the keyboard when I was using release 17.1.
Anyone else have similar problems?

// Michael
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".