Subject: gcc -E slower in beta 18?
From: [email-masked] (Philip Chow)

10 May 1997 17:11:58 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.5 PL0b1]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I just recently had some time to move all my tools from beta 14 to beta18
and I am noticing a dramatic performance degradation for C-preprocessing
of files with gcc -E.

If I have the following command:

gcc -D_WIN32 -E -U__GNUC__ -nostdinc -W3 -GX -G5 -DWIN32 -D__STDC__=0 \
    -D_NTSDK -D_WINDOWS -I/path1 -I/path2 -I/path3 -I/path4 -I/path5  \
    -I/path6 -I/path7 -I/path8 -I/path9 file.c

the command executes 4 times slower in beta18 than beta14.  The above
paths reference mounts to 5 different samba server linked network drives.

I have also noticed the same performance degradation in another version
of cpp compiled for beta14 and beta18.

What has changed between beta14 and beta18 which would cause file/directory
access to be slower?

I was all set to move to beta18 until I noticed the performance degradation.
Everything is better in beta18 except for the above problem - I cannot
afford a 60 second gcc -E versus 15 seconds.

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Philip Chow
ISG Technologies Inc.
Phone:    (905) 672-2101 ext 304
Fax:      (905) 672-2307
Internet: [email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".