Subject: Re: g77 with Cygnu.b18
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

9 May 1997 23:39:45 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: "Wei Ku" <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: Your message of "Fri, 09 May 1997 10:45:58 EDT."
             <[email-masked]> 
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

"Wei Ku" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> Hello Mr Khan:
> As I understand, the g77 you ported needs the corresponding gcc (b.17.1) =
> in the same tar.Z file. Does that mean that the g77 you ported will not =
> work under b.18 ( because of difference between the gcc's ) ?
> I am willing to try Cygnu b18. However, the g77 you ported is the only =
> FORTRAN compiler I can use in my home PC. ( My old Microsoft FORTRAN =
> compiler can not handle array of size larger than 64 K bytes). Also, I =
> am porting a FORTRAN package that is originally for UNIX.
> Please let me know if I can install the Cygnu b18 and kepp g77 working.
> Sincerely,
> Wei Ku
> 

The current plan is to release g77 0.5.19.1, NOT g77 0.5.20, for b18.
g77 0.5.20 has some nasty bugs, and even Craig Burley (g77 author)
suggests in a posting in comp.lang.fortran using 0.5.19.1 until 0.5.21
i arrives. Even when 0.5.21 arrives, I still won't port it to gnu-win32
until FSF releases 2.8 (and gnu-win32 hopefully will have merged its
changes with the FSF release). The back-end differences are too
time-consuming, not to mention error-prone, to track for a non-compiler 
hacker like me.

That said, watch for g77-0.5.19.1 source patches and binaries for b18
sometime next week. Will announce here.

btw, since b18 still has buggy bsearch, my copy of g77 will use its
own fixed one, and functions/subroutines with names like zswap will
compile ok.

Regards,
Mumit -- [email-masked]
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".