Subject: bash problem with hexl under ntemacs
From: [email-masked] (Guido Van Hoecke)

9 May 1997 21:54:52 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Gnus v5.4.48/Emacs 19.34
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Triggered by some postings about hexl-mode, I have been doing some
experiments with it under "GNU Emacs 19.34.1 (i386-*-nt4.0) of Mon Apr
21 1997 on ESME" on a windows95 portable. I was using Cygnus gnu-win32
v17.1. I use bash as my shell under emacs, and am quite happy with it.

I created a new file with C-x C-f newfile, and then I switched the
buffer to hexl-mode with M-x hexl-mode. I got following message in the
buffer itself: "/cygnus/h-i386-cygwin32/bin/bash.exe:
c:/emacs/bin/hexl.exe: No such file or directory". So I tried an
existing file, visited it (C-x C-f), and typed M-x hexlify-buffer:
buffer gets cleared and same message is displayed at the top of the
buffer.

Out of curiosity, I switched to MKS toolkit's sh.exe, and bingo,
hexlify-buffer does work allright.

So I hopped over to www.cygnus.com to see whether I could find anything about
this, and saw that there was a new version b18: I downloaded
and installed it. 

But the hexl-mode / hexlify-buffer still causes a problem, allthough
the message has changed: "/gnuwin32/b18/h-i386-cygwin32/bin/bash.exe:
c:/emacs/bin/hexl.exe: (null)"

Follows a transcript of my shell buffer to show the environment as
well as the fact that the hexl program is found by bash (note that I
have manually split long lines into continued indented lines, and that
my shell prompt is configured to show the command nr and working
directory on one $ line, followed by the real prompt on a second $
line): 

$ 1 [/hoeckeg]
$ env
EMACSDATA=C:/EMACS/etc
INFOPATH=c:/hoeckeg/info;/usr/local/info;c:/gnuwin32/b18/info;c:/hoecke\
	g/lisp/w3;c:/hoeckeg/lisp/bbdb;c:/hoeckeg/lisp/gnus/texi;C:/EMA
	CS/info
ENV=c:/hoeckeg/.bashrc
HISTSIZE=64
LOGNAME=hoeckeg
EMACS=t
GDBTK_LIBRARY=c:/gnuwin32/b18/share/gdbtcl
TEMP=C:/windows/temp/
TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
EMACSPATH=C:/EMACS/bin
CMDLINE=WIN
TERMCAP=emacs:co#80:tc=unknown:
PROMPT=$p$g
TERM=emacs
__PARENT_PROCESS_ID=-92789
EMACS_DIR=C:/EMACS
TCL_LIBRARY=c:/gnuwin32/b18/tcl/lib/tcl7.6
HOSTTYPE=i386
PATH=/GNUWIN32/B18/H-I386-CYGWIN32/BIN:/GNUWIN32/B18/TCL/BIN:/BIN/MKS/M\
	KSNT:/BIN:/WINDOWS:/WINDOWS/COMMAND:/TL27:/EMACS/BIN:/ELVIS:/LO\
	CAL/RCS/BIN:/BIN/NETSCAPE/PROGRAM:/program files/maestro.95
HOME=c:/hoeckeg
INPUTRC=~/.inputrc
SHELL=C:/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/bash.exe
WINBOOTDIR=C:\WINDOWS
WINDIR=C:\WINDOWS
USER=hoeckeg
TMPDIR=c:/windows/temp
GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=c:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\
EMACSDOC=C:/EMACS/etc
EMACSLOADPATH=C:/EMACS/lisp
OSTYPE=win32
NNTPSERVER=btmpjg.god.bel.alcatel.be
COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
BLASTER=A220 I5 D1
SHLVL=1
ROOTDIR=c:/bin/mks
EMACSLOCKDIR=C:/EMACS/lock
_=/GNUWIN32/B18/H-I386-CYGWIN32/BIN/env.exe
PID=1001
$ 2 [/hoeckeg]
$ type $SHELL
C:/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/bash.exe is C:/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-\
	cygwin32/bin/bash.exe
$ 3 [/hoeckeg]
$ type bash
bash is /GNUWIN32/B18/H-I386-CYGWIN32/BIN/bash.exe
$ 4 [/hoeckeg]
$ type hexl
hexl is /EMACS/BIN/hexl.exe
$ 5 [/hoeckeg]
$ 

In my .emacs, I have following statements with respect to shell-mode:

(setenv "SHELL" "C:/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/bash.exe")
;(setenv "SHELL" "c:/bin/mks/mksnt/sh.exe")
(setenv "ENV" "c:/hoeckeg/.bashrc")

(if (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
    (progn
      (setq
       igrep-expression-quote-char ?'
       igrep-parenthesis-escape-char ?\\
       igrep-expression-quote-char ?'
       igrep-parenthesis-escape-char ?\\
       explicit-sh-args '("-login" "-i")        ;for bash
       ;explicit-sh-args '("-L" "-i")            ;for ksh (mks)
       shell-command-switch "-c"		;For bash etc. /c for cmd.
       win32-quote-process-args t		;Runs bash subshell.
       )
      (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook 
		'(lambda () 
		   (setq comint-file-name-quote-list nil)
		   (setq comint-completion-addsuffix t))
		t)))

Is this a known problem! Is there a workaround or a known fix?

g-)

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".