Subject: Solution! resource compiler for cygwin32/mingw32
From: [email-masked] ("Mikey")

6 May 1997 00:10:59 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.71.0544.0
Original-To: "cygnus" <[email-masked]>
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE Engine V4.71.0544.0
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I've noticed a few messages last month asking about a resource compiler
for
gnuwin32/mingw32, and I seem to have found a setup the works.

rc, and a lot of other goodies!!! are available in the Platform SDK from
microsoft.  (get the big bin package!)
also get the oledb SDK 1.1, or the help compiler & some other things won't
work (unless you have VC++ I guess.)

http://www.microsoft.com/msdn/sdk/default.htm

rc has no problem with NL terminated lines, so it works with binary
mounts.

rsrc from rsxntdj1.zip seems to handle all types of resources correctly,
in
the last couple of days, I have been able to compile and link all of the
sample applications that I've tried from the SDK using these 2 tools.

archie for your nearest location, or it's available on
ftp://ftp.uni-bielefeld.de/pub/systems/msdos/misc.
or any djgpp mirror.

BTW the next best solution I was able to come up with was lrc from the lcc
package, and res2coff, if you don't want to talk Micros***.

also in rsxntdj.zip are the patches for the SDK headers. I did have to do
some hand work on them, to get everything to work, so I will
post my current diffs, and some additional tools I used, to
http://wwwdim.uqac.uquebec.ca/ftp/pub  as
SDK_for_ming_cygwin32.tar.gz

If you're doing developing for win32, I strongly recomend
mingw32, it gives you a FREE runtime, faster apps,
and you still have cygwin32 for debugging and posix apps.

Nice job Colin !!!!!!  ;^)

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".