Subject: Performance
From: [email-masked] (Ben Elliston)

3 May 1997 09:41:26 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Someone on another mailing list suggested the applications ported to Win32
using Cygwin are not up to scratch.

I don't understand why this might be: the compiler produces native x86
(and presumably very good!) code for the user space code and for UNIX
system calls, they would be handled by the DLL with a secondary call into
the Windows kernel.

Does anyone have any performance comparisons between "Cygwin" apps and
native Win32 applications?  Is there any real performance penalty for
software with a high proportion of system calls?

Thanks,
Ben

---
Ben Elliston
<[email-masked]>

"For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier. I put them in the same
 room and let them fight it out." -- Steven Wright

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".