Subject: Re: problem using g++ produced program as a WebSite CGI
From: [email-masked] (James Dumser)

2 May 1997 07:42:26 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked] (Carl Nicol)
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "Carl Nicol" at Apr 30, 97 11:27:06 am
X-MIMI-Options: headers none
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997 11:27:06 -0500, Carl Nicol <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I have successfully compiled a cgi program that I use on a Linux system
>using g++ on Win/95 and it runs fine from the command line, however, when I
>try to use it as a CGI program, it dies with an exception error. I have
>WinSite calling it using the ../cgi-shl/ directory.  Does anyone have any
>clues as to what the problem may be?

I believe your problem may be that due to some initialization
limitations in cygwin.dll, only one user at a time can run cygwin32
programs -- though I am not sure how this relates to Win95. On NT, your
webserver would probably run as SYSTEM while you're logged in as
something else, thus triggering the problem.

If your webserver runs as a Win95 "service," try hitting the page from
another computer without being logged in on the web computer -- does
that work? You alsom might able to use the same user for both the
webserver and your console login to test this theory out.

Depending on your program, a simple solution may be to use Mingw32
(Minimalist GCC, http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162/gcc.html).
This avoids use of cygwin.dll so you won't hit the initialization
problem, but you'll also lose the Unix-emulation environment cygwin.dll
provides.

-- 
James Dumser    972-462-5335 [email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".