Subject: Re: G77 and Gnu-win32
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

1 May 1997 15:23:05 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: David Coe <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: Your message of "Thu, 01 May 1997 06:26:25 BST."
             <[email-masked]> 
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

David Coe <[email-masked]> writes:
> Hi folks!
> 
> I notice that the John Eaton's crew have completed a fair amount of a 
> native Octave port via gnu-win32. I think this must have been via f2c
> for the Fortran bits rather than G77.
> 
> Has anyone though managed to merge the G77 add-on with the Cygnus GCC?
> Alternatively, are there plans for the extensive gnu-win32 changes to
> GCC to be fed back into the GNU distribution?
> 

See http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32 for
both g77 0.5.20 binaries/patches and also prebuilt octave 2.0.5. I
wouldn't call octave for gnu-win32 a "port", since all it really
needed was a "configure; make; make install" + workarounds for
gnu-win32 bugs/omissions/misfeatures.

Comes with no support whatsoever.

Unless gnu-win32 gcc backend changes are merged back into FSF, I know
for sure that g77 team would not consider this a viable platform
(unlike EMX and DJGPP). Nobody wants to work on gcc development
snapshots that by definition are unstable and have ever changing
interfaces. 

Regards,
Mumit -- [email-masked]
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".