Subject: Bash bug?
From: [email-masked] (Steve Shepard)

29 Apr 1997 19:44:56 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Earlier, I sent mail to this list regarding a "cat" problem. In
digging into the problem further, I've found that it instead appears
to be a problem with bash redirection.

When redirecting input like in the following fragment from
gdb/configure)

echo $ac_n "checking for AIX""... $ac_c" 1>&6
cat > conftest.$ac_ext <<EOF
#line 717 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#ifdef _AIX
  yes
#endif

I get "No such file or directory" error. This is the result of
redirecting the input. Nothing is written to the conftest file.

I'm trying to build gdb from the cdk and can't get past the configure
stage. Is this a known bash bug? I'm using b17.1 (all.tar.gz from
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/gnu-win32-b17.1/)

How have those out there who have build the tools successfully worked
around this? I've tried the mks tools and tcsh. The first has problems
with sed and the second with the script synax.

Regards,
Steve Shepard

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".