Subject: Re: printf and long long
From: [email-masked] (James Dumser)

29 Apr 1997 12:48:48 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "Marc Auslander" at Apr 28, 97 11:09:32 am
X-MIMI-Options: headers none
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997 11:09:32 -0400, you Marc Auslander
  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>My problem is with gcc cygnus-2.7.2-961023 running on Windows 95.  I
>have no problem with gcc 2.7.2.1 on AIX, for example.  It appears from
>your note that you tried a BSD gcc, and it also works.
>
>By the way, according to the gnu libc info, q is the BSD name for ll,
>and the libaray in fact supports ll, L and q as synonyms.

And there lies the problem. cygwin32 does not use the GNU libc library
(if they did, they would not be able to require people to buy a license
from them to keep from releasing their source code). Instead, it uses
"newlib," with the source for the functions in question
(printf->vfprintf)
  Copyright (c) 1990 The Regents of the University of California.
  All rights reserved.

Looking at the code, l is long ints, L is for long doubles, ll is
supposed to be for long long ints (QUADINTs), and q is also for long
long ints. If things are not working like this, you'll need to take a
look at cdk/src/newlib/stdio/vfprintf.c to attempt to find the
problem.

-- 
James Dumser    972-462-5335 [email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".