Subject: String.h vs string.h bug...
From: [email-masked] ("Ryan C. Gordon")

25 Apr 1997 02:36:22 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
Comments: Authenticated sender is <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-mailer: Pegasus Mail for Win32 (v2.52)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Heya.

Don't know if this has been found before, but I think I have a bug in 
the 17.1 beta release...

Very simply, when compiling a C++ program that includes <string.h>, 
the preprocessor includes <String.h> from the C++ include directory, 
instead of the (lower case) string.h from the C include dir. This 
isn't a problem under Unix, I suppose, since "String.h" and 
"string.h" aren't the same file, but under Windows 95, it's causing 
problems. Besides annoying warnings of "implicit" declarations of 
strchr(), I get programs that won't compile due to this error:

myfile.cc:23: ANSI C++ forbids comparison between pointer and integer

ugh. For the time being, I've been adding the function prototypes 
myself (usually just need strcpy and a few others...), but this needs 
to be fixed/worked around.

Thanks,
--Ryan C. Gordon.

 +----------------------------------------------------------------------+
 | PGP mail encouraged. Finger [email-masked] or send mail with       |
 | "GET Ryan C. Gordon <[email-masked]>" as the title to              |
 | [email-masked] to get my public key.                    |
 | (Key fingerprint = E9 94 51 E0 8D A1 E0 6B  F2 0C EC 37 36 03 24 B1) |
 +----------------------------------------------------------------------+

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".