Subject: Suggestions for ftp site
From: [email-masked] (Luke Kendall)

24 Apr 1997 08:33:37 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0 (NeXT Mail 3.3 v118.2)
Content-Type: text/plain
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

At ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/

one finds the following files:

    FTP Directory: ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/

    ) _Parent Directory_
    ) _gnu-win32_. . . . . . . . . . . .  [Dec 11 08:58]
    ) _gnu-win32-b14_. . . . . . . . . .  [Dec 10 23:07]
    ) _gnu-win32-b16_. . . . . . . . . .  [Dec 10 23:06]
    ) _gnu-win32-b17.1_. . . . . . . . .  [Dec 11 23:23]
    ) _latest_ . . . . . . . . . . . . .  [Dec 11 08:58]
    ) _ml-archive-1995.gz_ . . . . . . .  [Dec  7 11:32]    371k
    ) _ml-archive-Nov-1-96.gz_ . . . . .  [Dec  7 11:32]    334k
    ) _ml-archive-Sep-19-96.gz_. . . . .  [Dec  7 11:32]   1650k
    ) _old_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  [Dec 11 23:23]
    ) _stabs.html_ . . . . . . . . . . .  [Nov 11  1995]    158k
    ) _stabs.ps_ . . . . . . . . . . . .  [Nov 11  1995]    367k
    ) _stabs.texinfo_. . . . . . . . . .  [Nov 11  1995]    144k
    ) _stabs.txt_. . . . . . . . . . . .  [Nov 11  1995]    133k
    ) _stabs_toc.html_ . . . . . . . . .  [Nov 11  1995]      7k

Would it be possible to include a README file which explained
what each file was about?  One has to glean information by diving
into subdirectories and reading README files down there.

On a related subject, the readme file for the "latest" directory
doesn't provide this information as clearly as it could.  One has
to read the entire file and make some educated guesses.

Some more visible version info for the individual components
of the package would be helpful, too.  One doesn't always have
the file dates of previously-fetched packages available to
compare with the ftp files.

Please take these as constructive criticisms - I think you're all
doing great work!

Regards,

luke
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".