Subject: Re: Pre-compiled X11R6.3 libraries available
From: [email-masked] (Christian Soeller)

21 Apr 1997 08:02:28 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: Arlindo da Silva <[email-masked]>
In-Reply-To: Arlindo da Silva's message of Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:50:05 -0400 (EDT)
X-Mailer: Gnus v5.2.10/Emacs 19.30
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Arlindo da Silva <[email-masked]> writes:

> 
> > Finally, will X11 work on a laptop without a network connection ? Is the
> > speed reasonable ?
> 
> Yep, this is precisely what I do. Performance is quite good, even for
> animation (of geophysical flows, that is). The only glitch I know of is
> the occasional delayed handling of X events.
> 

I tried the combination of X11R6.3 + MI Xserver under cygwin32 and it works
nicely. However, trying it on my win95 laptop which doesn't have a network
interface nor *any* network protocols support installed I always get
'can't open display' with all DISPLAY settings I have tried so far
(localhost:0.0 , DEFAULT:0.0, 0.0, etc).

I presume you need at least TCP/IP support even if you don't have an interface
since the open display command probably internally tries to get a socket
which will always fail when *no* network protocols are installed ?

I'd appreciate if any body could confirm this diagnose or point out
alternative reasons why the open display fails.

Best regards,

  Christian
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".