Subject: Re: Absolute file-path under bash (cygwin32)
From: [email-masked] (Paul Prescod)

19 Apr 1997 09:35:04 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.0b3 [en] (Win95; I)
Original-To: Jim Balter <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: [email-masked], Hawkeye <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
        [email-masked]
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Jim Balter wrote:
> This discussion has become rather confused.  The topic *was*
> having *non*-cygwin programs understand *unix* path names, by,
> for instance hacking bash (I have faith that cygnus won't do this).

Threads shift. The question now is how to have a unified interface for
passing paths to programs. Do you feel that this is not a problem worth
solving or that there is a better solution than changing bash?

> b17 already groks DOS paths (device:, backslash); b18 will handle UNC
> paths (paths starting with double backslash).

Wouldn't that be a quadruple backslash (at least in bash)? Does that
mean that Cygwin apps will understand paths with backslashes in them or
that there is now a way to specify UNC paths so that Unix programs can
understand them -- but using a different syntax than you would use for
Windows programs.

 Paul Prescod

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".