Subject: Re: About DLL's again
From: [email-masked] (Matt Calder)

17 Apr 1997 20:54:19 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-Authentication-Warning: tlaloc.stat.colostate.edu: calder owned process doing -bs
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Ismael,
	Thank you for your thorough response, I appreciate this
,and your initial post for that matter. I have abandoned trying
to get gcc to make universally loadable dlls, for whatever reason
it doesn't work (see below for some conjecture), and I have found
an alternative. The lcc compiler distributed by Jacob Navia will
make dlls simply and without fuss. I have been using it all week 
and am extremely pleased. This should not be interpreted as a
cut on Cygnus, there is room on my disk for several compilers.
	Now for some irresponsible hypothesizing. I suspect that
part of the dll loading problem is coming from the way MSVC handles
messages. I think the WM_COMMAND message starts a new thread so that the
main window procedure can continue to process messages. I get this
impression from the debug messages generated in MSVC. The LoadLibrary
function fails when the call comes from within this thread. I don't
know if any of this sounds reasonable, maybe it will lead someone 
to the right answer, for me its lcc for dlls.

Matt 

/*****************************************/
/* Matt Calder, Dept. of Statistics, CSU */
/* http://www.stat.colostate.edu/~calder */
/*****************************************/

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".