Subject: Re: Absolute file-path under bash (cygwin32)
From: [email-masked] (Scott Blachowicz)

17 Apr 1997 17:44:56 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Original-To: Hawkeye <[email-masked]>
Original-cc: [email-masked] (Paul Prescod), [email-masked],
        [email-masked]
In-reply-to: Your message of "Wed, 16 Apr 1997 19:43:06 -0700."
             <[email-masked]> 
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hawkeye <[email-masked]> wrote:

> o "/" already separates path components in unix names, and is illegal
>   in path components in dos names, so cygwin could always interpret it
>   as a separator.

But, some tools will take forward slashes as directory separators (e.g. I
think I've given something like "-I \\system\share/include" options to the MS
C compiler before [my memory might be a bit foggy here, but I've used "/" as
separators for constructing paths in GNU makefiles and run MS C from them
before).

> o Interpreting "\" is a little more tricky.  Maybe cygwin should interpret
>   "\" as a separator only if the name does not contain any "/"s.  Or maybe
>   it could always interpret "\" as a separator, with the assumption that
>   nobody in their right mind uses "\" in a unix file name.... Say, doesn't
>   cygwin already disallow "\" in file names?  In that case, it can always
>   interpret "\" as a separator, without losing anything.

Yeah...by the time the string gets to a file path manipulation function, why
not just treat both "/" and "\" as being equivalent separators?

But, didn't I already see a message in here that b18 will fully support DOS
paths?

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
[email-masked]                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".