Subject: Re: Runtime speed with GNU compilers
From: [email-masked] (Paul Prescod)

13 Apr 1997 15:52:53 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.0b3 [en] (Win95; I)
Original-To: Stefano Gragnani <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: [email-masked]
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I don't know a great deal about the GNU compilers, but let me first say
that your test doesn't really seem to indicate anything about the
performance of the compilers, but of the sin and cos library functions.
If those are too slow for you, you could rewrite them without changing
compilers.

The second thing is to make sure that other compilers are really doing
all of the work. Sometimes when one compiler seems unbelievably fast, it
is because a variable has overflowed somewhere and it is only doing a
portion of the work.

 Paul Prescod

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".