Subject: Pre-compiled X11R6.3 libraries available
From: [email-masked] (Arlindo da Silva)

11 Apr 1997 12:46:11 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked] (Arlindo da Silva)
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL21]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Folks,

    Following Sergey Okhapkin's patches I compiled the X11R6.3 libraries with 
Cygnus GNU Win32 beta17.1 and I am making them available on my ftp server. 
My main departure from Sergey's patch is to build libSM.a and libICE.a as static
libraries rather than DLLs; I could not make it to work on my win95 lapttop 
otherwise. Building these libraries is relatively straightforward but it
takes a l-o-n-g time.

   I am including below the README where you will find the URL and what is in 
the tar file.

   Enjoy!

         Arlindo.

............................................................................

                GNU Win32 X11R6.3 Binary Libraries

                    Last Update: April 10, 1997

   This directory contains the X Windows Version 11 Release 6.3 compiled
with the Cygnus GNU Win32 C compiler version Beta 17.1.  This X11R6.3
port is based on the work of Sergey Okhapkin ([email-masked]), I
just got Sergey's patch, hacked it a little and compiled the libraries.
You must have Windows 95 or Windows NT to use this software.  It will
not run on Windows 3.x. For additional information, please consult:

             http://www.cygnus.com/gnu-win32/

Check also the mail arquives at:

             http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/

AVAILABILITY:

  The pre-compiled Win32 X11R6.3 libraries can be obtained from:

  ftp://niteroi.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/win32/X11R6.3/Win32_X11R6_3.tar.gz

INSTALLATION:

  I recommend that you install these files on /usr/X11R6.3. So from
the COMMAND.COM prompt:

  cd \
  mkdir usr                                      (if don't already have it)
  cd \usr
  (put the file "Win32_X11R6_3.tar.gz" in here)
  tar xvfz Win32_X11R6_3.tar.gz
  del Win32_X11R6_3.tar.gz                        (if all went well)

I am assuming you have the GNU tool "tar" which comes with Cygnus Win32
compiler (notice that the gunzip is automaticatly performed by the GNU
tar). See Cygnus URL above for details.  If you use another version of
tar, make sure you gunzip the file first and that your tar respects
Windows 95/NT long file names; this is essential. (DJGPP's tarx will NOT
work!!!)

Next, add /usr/X11R6.3/bin to your path. That should do it. There are
samples clients in examples/:

   tetris      the classic game, uses only libX11.a (no toolkits)
   bezier      bezier drawing program
   xmore       file browser

X SERVER:

And of course, you will need X Windows server software. A freewave X
server can be obtained from MicroImages:

     http://tnt.microimages.com/www/html/freestuf/mix.htm

This server comes with twm. If you prefer fvwm, from COMMAND.COM enter

     startx

and it will bring up the Xserver with fvwm. Take a look at the file
/usr/X11R6.3/bin/startx.bat if this fails for some reason. I built fvwm
from sources I had from xlibemu (DJGPP stuff), it does not come from
MicroImages.

MORE CLIENTS:

   There is a minimum set of clients with this distribution. For
additional clients please take a look at:

   ftp://microlib.cc.utexas.edu/microlib/nt/x11r6

DIRECTORY STRUCTURE:

     /usr/X11R6.3/bin          a few cliends, dynamic linked libraries
                               (libX11.dll, etc.)
     /usr/X11R6.3/lib          libraries (libX11.a, etc.)
     /usr/X11R6.3/include      X11R6.3 header files
     /usr/X11R6.3/examples     sample clients to test your installation

MICROSOFT VISUAL C++

I heard that libraries created with the GNU Win32 compiler can be
used with Microsft's Visual C++ provided you use their LINK.EXE
instead of LD.EXE. Consult the Cygnus mail archives and FAQ for 
more information (see above).

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS:

Notice that I DO NOT provide support for this software, but if
you have questions you may try to contact me at:

     Arlindo da Silva 
     Data Assimilation Office
     NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
     [email-masked]

                        --- // ---

-- 

   *-----------------------------------------------------------------*
   |                                                                 |
   |             ^|^                     ARLINDO DA SILVA            |
   |              |                     212 Lexington Drive          |
   |             _|_                  Silver Spring, MD 20901        |
   |      @  ___|___|__                                              |
   |     _|_|__________|_______/    mailto://[email-masked]    |
   |    \  o o o o o o o  /                                          |
   |     \_______________/            Home: (301) 754-1121           |
   |  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^         FAX: (301) 805-7959           |
   |                                                                 |
   *-----------------------------------------------------------------*

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".