Subject: Re: cat and binary files
From: [email-masked] (Larry Hall)

11 Apr 1997 03:48:01 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 2.2 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

At 03:17 PM 4/10/97 -0400, Marc Auslander wrote:
>I tried doing binary mounts with the following results.
>
>1.  cat now produces a file larger than the sum of the input file
>sizes.

I tried this and I cannot reproduce it.  You need to provide more information
about what you started with and what you did.  Mine equals out just as you'd
expect.

>2.  bash gets confused reading .bashrc

Your .bashrc may have CRs in it.  Remove them and I'll bet your problems
go away.  

In general, if you change from text mounts (the default, although I'd say it
causes more harm than good) to binary mounts, all files that were in any way
written previously will likely contain CRs which may cause you problems.
This includes all files extracted from all.tar.  You'll either need to 
reinstall or filter all suspected files to remove the CRs.

>3.  I don't know how to get binary while using explicit path notation.

I don't know what you mean by this.  Can you elaborate?

>So I'll go back to text mode mounts for now, and if necessary write a
>cat that works.

If you feel you must make a change to cat, simply get the source and add
the "b" flag to all fopens.  It shouldn't be any more difficult than 
that....

>
>Marc Auslander   <[email-masked]>   914 945-4346  (Tieline 862 Fax x4426)

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (617) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (617) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181                             

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".