Subject: Re: cat and binary files
From: [email-masked] (Ed Huott)

9 Apr 1997 17:49:58 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-cc: Win32 Mailing List <[email-masked]>
In-reply-to: Your message of "Wed, 09 Apr 1997 09:49:20 EDT."
             <[email-masked]> 
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

In message <[email-masked]>, Marc Auslander writes:
>(running latest)
>
>cat seems to stop before the end of input - I assume at an end of file
>character.  cat --help doesn't offer a binary flag.  How can I cat
>binary files? 
>

Use the 'mount' command with the '-b' option to make sure that the
drive on which the file resides is "mounted" with the binary flag set
(text==binary) in the cygwin world.  There is some discussion about
this in the FAQ and/or README files.

If you are comfortable with mucking around in the Windows registry, you
can view/change the settings for these virtual drive mounts for the
current user under the following key sub-tree:

  HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Cygnus Support/CYGWIN.DLL setup/b15.0/mounts

The value for the "fbinary" key under the appropriate device number
can be set to 1 to turn on the behavior where all files are treated as
binary (recommended).

Note that the "b15.0" settings still apply to the b17.1 installation.
These setting are preserved from one Windows login session to the
next.

Hope you find this useful.

<ED>
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".