Subject: Advice!
From: [email-masked] (Benoit Champagne)

7 Apr 1997 07:02:45 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Face: O~Rn;(l][/-o1sALg4A@xpE:9-"'IR[%;,,!m7</SYF`{vYQ(&RI1&EiH[FvT;J}@f!4kfz
 x_!Y#=y{Uuj9GvUi=cPuajQ(Z42R[wE@{G,sn$qGr5g/wnb*"*ktI+,CD}1Z'wxrM2ag-r0p5I6\nA
 [WJopW_J.WY;
X-Attribution: BenC
X-Confirm-Reading-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0 (generated by tm-edit 7.66)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

    Admiral> I need to ask everyone a question.  If an operating system
    Admiral> suddenly appeared that was better than the windows you used in
    Admiral> every way, and it got very very good reviews, would you switch to
    Admiral> it?

    Admiral> Probably not, right?  But what if it had full application
    Admiral> compatibility with MacOS, DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows NT4, and
    Admiral> Windows 95 with Win97 support planned?

    Admiral> If it was much faster, flexible, and powerful, would you than
    Admiral> switch to it if it was made by a company you've never heard of;
    Admiral> not microsoft?

    Admiral> Plz let me know.  Thnx, -Admiral -

If the cie can prove me they are hard working, good architecture, solid and
especially not narrow minded, not using their customer as beta testers (like
some aforementionned) I would switch.  But let me be sceptic about such an OS.
Many have tried, none made it work without compromises.

Professionnally, I use Unix (whatever flavour), and I intend to stick to it.
Personnally, I use Win95; plan to go to NT but would rather go with Linux if it
was not for some apps compatibility.

Such an OS, with all this support should make sure it complies to POSIX, be GUI
customizable (not like Win32), be multi-user (not like NT - i.e. can support
things like X-Terminal, Heck it should support X!!), complies also to the new
X-Open standards, etc.... Lot of stuff to think about.

That was my two cents...

Best Regards

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
 Continuum all the way                 COMPUTER ASSOCIATES
Benoit Champagne  ift.a	         |  Main Line : (514) 978-4899
Tel  : (514) 978-4913		 |    3090 Boul. Le Carrefour
FAX  : (514) 978-4909            |          Suite 300
Email: [email-masked]		 |          Laval, PQ
PLAN : Live Long And Prosper	 |	    H7T 2J7
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".