Subject: Re: Handling ...
From: [email-masked] (Francis Litterio)

4 Apr 1997 23:19:06 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.0.82
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Chris Cowan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have gnutar image that I made in an OSF DFS environment.
> Unfortunately, I made the image with absolute paths, so all of the
> items start with the /... prefix.  I can't untar it because I can't
> create a directory named /... or ...

> I have tried to make folders in NT explorer, the DOS console and under
> bash.   I've also tried to map /... and ... using the mount command.
> None of these work.

> Presently, I stymied.  Does anyone have a suggestion around this
> problem?

Fire up a suitably powerful editor (e.g., NTEmacs) on the tar file,
and carefully change the relevant occurances of /... to /xyz (if none
of the files in the tar file contain the character sequence "/...",
you can globally replace all occurances of that sequence).  Then mkdir
/xyz and untar the file.
--
Francis Litterio                     PGP Key Fingerprint:
[email-masked]       02 37 DF 6C 66 43 CD 2C
http://world.std.com/~franl/         10 C8 B5 8B 57 34 F3 21
     Email address altered to protect against spamming.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary 
 safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin, ~1784

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".