Subject: RE: DLL to lib*.a?
From: [email-masked] (Colin Peters)

3 Apr 1997 00:27:49 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <01BC4042.E7805DE0.cygnus.gnu-win32@gbird0>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "'Fergus Henderson'" <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: "'GNU-Win32'" <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Fergus Henderson[SMTP:[email-masked]] wrote:
>Colin Peters, you wrote:
>> 
>> you can use Windows 95's "Quick View"
>> function to examine the exports of the DLL directly
>
>How do you do this?  What is the "Quick View" function?

I'm not so sure how much interest there is on the mailing list
about this, but here goes. I apologize for the bandwidth to
those of you who don't care. Also, I'd point out that there
is a free utility, pedump, which does the same thing and is
more useful which I would recommend over using Quick View.

First, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and select the
Windows Setup tab. Select "Accessories" from the list and
click "Details..." Then scroll down a little way and you should
see an item "Quick View". Make sure it's checked and then "OK"
your way back out to the Control Panel, which you can close.

Now go to Explorer and (after setting View, Options, Show All
Files so that you can see DLL files) right click on the DLL
you want to examine. There should be an option "Quick View"
in the menu that pops up, and if you select it you will get
a window containing information reminiscent of tdump, dumpbin
pedump or other executable file examination programs. A little
way down in the display is a section Export Table and a list
of function names. Unfortunately you can't take text from this
output and put it in the windows clipboard or otherwise copy
it without laboriously typing it out again, which is a real
pain.

Personally I much prefer using pedump, which is also freely
available (download with LCC from http://www.remcomp.com/lcc-win32/),
even though that requires a bit of file editing as well (but at
least no tedious copying).

Colin.

-- Colin Peters - [email-masked]
-- Saga University Dept. of Information Science
-- http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/index.html
-- http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162/

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".