Subject: bash problems on nfs file systems
From: [email-masked] (Murray Smigel)

2 Apr 1997 18:44:47 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0.1 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi:

I just installed the binaries for bash 17.1 on win95.  What a relief to
have a reasonable shell!  

There appears to be something wrong when writing to an nfs file system
exported by an rs/6000/aix box.  If I mount the file system, I can see
things fine. Assume the mount is at /t.  If I am in /t/tmp and I execute
"cp afile.txt afile.new" and if afile.txt is larger then about 4k, the file
afile.new will have the 2048 bytes living in the range [4005-6053] replaced
by nulls!  Opps.  If I "cp afile.txt /afile.new", so it is going to a
non-nfs disk, things work fine.  

When I execute a program under bash, and the program tries to create an
output text file > 4k on an nfs file system, the same thing happens.

If I use the dos shell and the builtin copy, things work fine.  If I use
bash and call another cp.exe program (virtually u**x I think), things work
fine.  If I use os/2 to write to the nfs file system things work fine.  

HELP!
thanks.

Murray Smigel
(201)-984-2620

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

G. Marx

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".