Subject: Re: elvis & vim, was Re: Does anyone have a man command??
From: [email-masked] (Gregg Jensen)

1 Apr 1997 18:25:13 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.1 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

At 08:56 AM 3/31/97 +0000, Kevin Dahlhausen wrote:
>
>> The 'vi' like editor 'elvis' can read man, and i found 'elvis-2.0' for
>> win32. Unfortunately
>> it isn't buil on cygnus-win32 distrib, so it can't handle unixlike
>> pathnames !!! 
>> I tryed to port it with the tiny termcap embeded, and with gnu libtermcap.
>> It compile quite
>> easily in both case, and it runs, but input seems to be 'frozen' (in fact
>> keystrokes seems
>> to be bufferised). Anybody has an idea ??
>
>I tried to build a native GNU-WIN32 version of the VI clone VIM.
>It compiled but exhibited the same behavior -that is the program 
>started, displayed 'Empty Buffer' and completely locked up.  I 
>haven't gotten any further on this yet.   Since both ports show the 
>same problem, maybe this points to a problem in the termcap 
>code?

As a point of interest, I am a xvile (another vi clone that has an
X windows interface) user when on a unix box.  And, after I pulled
down the X libraries, referenced on this list recently, I pulled the
latest (x)vile sources down to my NT box and started compiling.  I
made two adjustments (at the configure stage and one line change in
one file) and it popped out with a clean compile.  I started it up,
verified that it worked and am using it now.  My hats off to the 
cygnus-win32 group.  

Gregg Jensen
(oh, I am currently using eXodus X server, not the free one mentioned 
here before.)

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".