Subject: POSIX signal fn & setitimer
From: [email-masked] (Chin Chee-Kai)

27 Mar 1997 03:28:56 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-Authentication-Warning: gatekeeper.gen.co.jp: smap set sender to <[email-masked]> using -f
Original-To: Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Eh, gonna ask a "sensitive" question innocently...

Point (1):
I've ploughed through the header files in search for some of the
more elaborate signal handling functions such as sigset(), sighold(),
sigpause(), .. etc, but couldn't find any of such.  Are these
somewhere in the libraries?  Or when will they become available
(any hints from Cygnus people please?)?

Point (2):
In <sys/signal.h>, I can see some of those conditional #if's for
different platforms.  In particular, I'm confused by line 107
(of <sys/signal.h>)
	#if defined(__svr4__)

See, I thought files in <sys/> directory should describe the
environment in which programs are compiled, and should be very
specific to the system.  So in this case, 
	(a) is gnu-win32 gcc assuming that the environment
	    may be compiled in SVR4?
	(b) is gnu-win32 gcc assuming Win95/NT are SVR4?  Or could be?
	    If there's this assumption, then when does gnu-win32
	    expect the macro to be defined?
	(c) I wanted my programs to recognise POSIX signals
	    (as I also run them on SGI).  So I now have to
	    rather dangerously put a "#define __svr4__"
	    before "#include <signal.h>" (which includes <sys/signal.h>
	    But this approach is really queer since I'm telling the
	    compiler midway that the environment has suddenly become
	    SVR4.  Has anyone else dealt with this in a better way?

Finally, I can't find the lovely  "setitimer()" function.
"nm lib*.a" in /usr/lib returns nothing and I can't run a timer
test.  Has someone already found a way around it?

Thanks.

Chin Chee-Kai (Last, First)
Internet Email-ID:	[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".