Subject: Re: Nobody in the world understands Gnu's 'ld'.
From: [email-masked] (Hans Zuidam)

26 Mar 1997 12:44:10 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked] (Stan Shebs)
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from Stan Shebs at "Mar 25, 97 12:03:42 pm"
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4ME+ PL22 (25)]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> [email-masked] (root) writes:
[ a lot of ramblings about the GNU linker, typical
 for someone who hasn't seen that much ]

> Stan Shebs wrote:
> ... It's not fiendishly difficult, but it
True, only fiendishly tedious... :-)

A sad thing about the current GNU code is that it starts to show
it's age.  Look at the average gdb debugger interface: cut and
paste programming and lots of comments about the writer being
uncertain if [s]he's doing the right thing.  Then when you write
your own interface, you are forced to do the same, the only other
option would be to rewrite major parts.

Another sad thing is that it works so damn well!  If you just close
your eyes and go ahead with implementing those changes needed for
your particular environment, you always end up with something that
works reliable.  That is when you remember the old proverb: if it
ain't broke, don't fix it.

Regards,

				Hans

-- 
H. Zuidam                        E-Mail: [email-masked]
Brand Innovators B.V.            P-Mail: P.O. Box 1377
de Pinckart 54                   5602 BJ Eindhoven, The Netherlands
5674 CC Nuenen                   Tel. +31 40 2631134, Fax. +31 40 2831138
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".